About ME!


     

Hey Everyone!


My name is Jocylynn Smith, but I go by my middle name, Leigh. I was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska and I couldn't imagine calling anywhere else home - I love this place. I graduated from Lathrop High School in 2007 and decided to give this college thing another go, so here I am. 


Once upon a time, I applied to the Radiologic Technology program here in town and I was not accepted, and I am actually thankful for that now. I will be graduating with my AA this spring and then continuing for my Bachelor's in Social Work (BSW), and boy I am excited, and nervous! The social work field is truly where my heart is. I worked with special needs kids for 5 years; talk about a heartbreaking and rewarding experience at the same time! Nonetheless, I learned so much from those kids and I am grateful to have had that opportunity. I now work in a recovery support program for Alaska Native and American Indian individuals in recovery from Opioid Use Disorder. It has brought on a new set of challenges, but I have gained a lot about addiction and having compassion for those who are affected by it. 


I have a nine-year-old son, Braylon, and I am extremely proud and amazed with who he is becoming. He keeps me busy with school, his obsession with the NBA/NFL, and our little adventures together. We were lucky enough to watch his favorite NBA team play in Arizona last February before life got shut down. I also adore my 14-year-old cat, Champ. He's been with me since I was 17 and I couldn't imagine life without him. Despite having two major knee surgeries in the last four years, you can still find me at the softball fields in the summers. I played in high school and continued playing slow pitch as an adult. Aside from playing, I have coached for 13 years and served on the local GHSA Board for 8 years. 


*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *  *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    


My relationship with music started before I even knew it. My parents are musicians, my dad plays the guitar and my mom is a drummer. They grew up in Mississippi jamming with friends and going to any rock concert they could; Stevie Ray Vaughn, Rush, Rolling Stones, Ozzy Osbourne, Van Halen, Journey, ZZ Top - and the list goes on and on! My dad was even accepted into the Guitar Institute of Technology in L.A. when he was 18-years-old, but he left after a month to continue chasing after my mom. They moved to Alaska in 1988 and started a band here in town in the mid-'90s called, PreZenceI have their band name tattooed on my leg. 


My earliest memories are of my parents having jam sessions at the house, going with them to gigs around town and the state, and hanging out at our local music store, "Music Mart". I had an electric Fender guitar by the time I was 5-years-old, I was in piano lessons for a few years and I played the violin in the 4th grade - but that was the extent of my "musical career." My focus was on sports then, and looking back, I regret everything about not picking an instrument and sticking with it. 


These days, I listen to music any chance I can. I love that music can accompany you in any emotion that you're feeling. Going through a break-up? There is a playlist for that! Needing to be pumped up before a softball game? There is a playlist for that! Trouble falling asleep? There is a playlist for that! I love all kinds of music - rock, rap, country, pop, oldies - but my overall favorite is probably country. Some of my favorite bands/artists are Dave Matthews Band, U2, Fleetwood Mac, Luke Combs, Keith Urban, and Juice Wrld. 


I love live music. After watching my parents play music for so long, I really just appreciate the effort and passion that goes into it. The closest I've ever been to performing live is when I dressed up as Gene Simmons for Halloween a few years ago. The first concert I went to was Destiny's Child when I was 8-years-old. In recent years, I have seen Rascal Flatts and Macklemore in Seattle, Elton John in Las Vegas, and Dave Matthews Band in Phoenix. I can mark DMB off my bucket list now!


I'm excited to dig deeper into this class and learn a thing or two! 


Cheers,


Leigh








A few more great songs:   Parker McCollum - I Can't Breathe    Koe Wetzel - Austin

                                        





 




Comments

  1. That was a fun song selection. It was really surprising to hear Luke Combs sing soul and do it so well. Nice surprise. You will have fun in this class. You will have insight that some of your classmates won't have, and vice versa. Here's to more musical exploration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luke Combs surprises me, too. I'm looking forward to this class more and more!

      Delete
  2. Hi Leigh! Oh my goodness, I haven't seen you in years. If you remember me, haha. Kristine's old buddy and Carl Demit's daughter. :)

    Your son is so grown up! Happy to "see" you in class. Congratulations on your AA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan! Yes I remember you! Your little bro and my little bro were best friends, too! Braylon is getting wayyy too big, 10 this summer... Great to "see" you, too! I hope you have a great semester - and thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Analysis #1 - Shallow

Music & the Fictive Dream - "I Put a Spell on You"